With the advent of diverse technologies and subsequent spreading of communication technology, the electric circuits have managed to sneak into every part of life. From a small watch to giant computers, electronics have escaped into every field and sector, and this makes electronics and communication engineering a crucial and unavoidable part of the new tech revolution.
Within the used and unused devices, there stands a chance of repairing; this repairing too is done using some electronics. The oscilloscope is one of these devices. The oscilloscope is a masterpiece in the electronics industry, having a wide range of uses starting from testing to fault checking.
The primary function of an oscilloscope is to show electrical information in time function. Some other functions are as follows.
- Displays and calculates the frequency and amplitude of signal oscillations.
- Displays AC or DC voltage content in a signal
- Displays voltage and time of a signal
- Helps in troubleshooting in machine components
The oscilloscope has several uses starting from testing of electronic devices and circuit boards or fining faults in used devices. Some of the oscilloscopes have storage capacity, which allows them to store the data which can be used for further analysis and record storage. The price range of the oscilloscope also varies with its specifications. Keysight provides an exclusive offer, and these keysight offers are to claim oscilloscopes with high oscillation bandwidth for accurate and sharp signal analysis.
Coming to the functions of an oscilloscope, a long list of devices is there, which can be checked for faults by the oscilloscope.
But some of the prominent functions of oscilloscopes are as follows.
- An oscilloscope is used in Serial data analysis where it can be used to represent and analyze data formats life USB, Bluetooth, ethernet, etc.
- The high bandwidth circuits have high-speed signals and clocks. The oscilloscope can perform jitter analysis checking and debugging signal jitter as well as timing for the clock.
- Another diverse use of an oscilloscope is in the field of storage devices. It tests the hard drives or CDs or DVDs by measuring disk performance and media noise and optical recording characteristics or storage devices.
- An oscilloscope is also used in power analysis as it can be used to analyze the operating characteristics of the device’s components, circuits. Sometimes additional software is also used to make the analysis more accessible and simplified.
- Another use of an oscilloscope is Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR). It implies measuring impedance variations and values on cables, cable connectors, or microstrips on circuit boards.
The technology has brought a solution to every problem. Even the problem in machines is solved by another machine depending upon the nature and type of fault. But a device with multi-functional roles is always chosen over mono-functional devices. The diverse functions of oscilloscope have made it one of the best options for the engineers to test and check circuit boards and signal characters and making devices and gadgets work smoother.